During SOAR (Student Orientation, Advising & Registration) you’ll explore the programs, resources, and tools that you need to succeed at MVCC. As part of the enrollment process, all new matriculated students will participate in SOAR.
At SOAR you will:
- Explore your academic, career, and transfer goals
- Meet fellow new MVCC students as well as faculty and staff
- Plan your first semester schedule, register for courses, and get your MVCC student photo ID
- Become familiar with MVCC’s technology, including your email and SIRS accounts
- Learn about the extracurricular and leadership opportunities available to you
- Be introduced to a wide range of support services
- Develop a plan for the coursework that leads to your degree
How do I register for SOAR?
New students must first be accepted to the college, and have taken their placement test to attend SOAR. Once you have completed those initial steps, please call 731-5710 in Utica or 334-7709 in Rome to schedule a time to attend SOAR. Residential students will complete their testing as a part of ResHall SOAR, and will be invited to this event via US Mail beginning in late May.
* If you will need disability accommodations for SOAR, which involves participating in a classroom setting and using a personal computer for course registration, please share that with our staff when you call to register.
What do I need to bring? How long is SOAR? Can I bring a guest?
Please bring a photo ID, all letters you’ve received from the college and any transcripts of potential transfer credit with you to the program.
SOAR begins with a group workshop and finishes with an individual advising appointment. The entire program lasts about 3 hours and must be completed in one day.
The workshops are for students only, but the student is welcome to bring adult guests (parents, spouses or other important mentors) to the advising appointment.
Who needs to attend SOAR?
All new students and transfer students who have not previously attended Mohawk Valley Community College are required to attend SOAR.
Dual Credit, College Connections and Bridge Students:
Students who have taken MVCC classes while in high school but are now matriculating into a degree program are required to attend SOAR.
Adult Learners and Evening Students:
Evening students and adult learners are required to attend the SOAR.
Students transferring from another institution are required to attend SOAR. Those who have provided proof of a bachelor's degree (an official transcript) upon application to the college are not required to attend SOAR.
Distance Learning Students:
New students taking both online and on-campus courses are required to attend SOAR at the Utica or Rome campus, as are online students who live in driving distance of the college. New students who are completing an online degree program and live at a distance from the college are required to participate in online SOAR.
International Students are required to attend International Orientation, through the International Student Services Office, which includes participation in SOAR.
Students Readmitted to MVCC:
Students who have previously attended Mohawk Valley Community College are not required to attend SOAR.
Assistant Dean of Student Enrollment and Advisement
Utica - Payne Hall 104B
Rome - Plumley Complex A30
Phone (Utica): (315) 792-5608
Phone (Rome): (315) 334-7755
Fax: (315) 792-5696
If you see errors or have ideas for new content, please contact the Content Manager