MVCC offers opportunities for high school Juniors and/or Seniors to receive college credit as part–time college students.
Through College Connection, high school students who are recommended to do so by their guidance counselors may take courses on the college campus nearest their high school.
Guidance Counselors work closely with the Office of Engagement and Outreach to select courses that are highly transferable to the college of choice or in getting a head start on a degree at MVCC
High school students who qualify may will be financially responsible for a student activity fee, technology fee, lab fee and book purchases.
College Connection Procedures
1. Student must meet first with High School Guidance Counselor so that Guidance Counselor can confirm student meets qualifications.
GPA of B/80/3.0 or higher
Recommendation to participate by guidance counselor
2. The student then must sign up to take the MVCC Placement Test. To register for a Placement Test go to www.mvcc.edu, then click on the tab across the top that says Future Students. Once on the Future Students page go to items on left side and click “Admissions” then scroll down and select Placement Testing. Once on Placement Testing page scroll down to Schedule a Test, click here. Then click on subtitle for High School College Connection/Bridge/Dual Credit/STEP to see available dates and schedule a test. (If you are in western Oneida County you can test on the Rome Campus by selecting Rome Campus and scheduling during one of those available dates). The Office of Engagement and Outreach will get tests results as long as staff is made aware the student tested and when.
(Also if your district does testing on site for Dual Credit, etc you can have students take the placement test during those scheduled times at your district as well)
***If a student has taken the SAT or ACT those scores may be submitted in lieu of taking the MVCC Placement Test***
3. Student will meet with Guidance Counselor and Guidance Counselor will assist the student in searching for a course to take at MVCC. If the Guidance Counselor and student need assistance in selecting a course they can contact the Office of Engagement and Outreach, and staff will provide advisement at that time. Each school district is different as far as what time of day students can take courses as well as which course students can take therefore clarification MUST come from the school itself before the Office of Engagement and Outreach can provide any advisement or suggestions.
4. Once a course has been selected, the Guidance Counselor will then complete the High School Program Registration form and the student and parent will sign. If the parent signature is not included then grades cannot be released to the school district. (All areas must be complete including CRN, Course Name, semester student plans to attend, etc. If the form is incomplete it will be returned to the Guidance office to seek out the missing information).
5. A cover sheet, current copy of the student’s transcript and the completed High School Programs Course Selection Form should then be faxed to the Office of Engagement and Outreach at (315) 792-5422.
6. The Office of Engagement and Outreach will then forward the form to the registrar’s office to ensure student is enrolled in the proper course. College Connection students CANNOT be waitlisted so if a course closes before registration paperwork is submitted the Guidance Counselor will be contacted.
7. Students will be mailed a registration printout that lists information about the course he/she has selected and also receive a billing statement.
8. During the semester the student can access support services on the MVCC campus including advisement through the Engagement and Outreach Office.
Engagement & Outreach
1101 Sherman Drive
Utica, NY 13501
Telephone - 315.792.5424
1101 Floyd Avenue
Rome, NY 13440
Email - email@example.com