Where's My Graduate?
Hundreds of candidates for graduation will start the Commencement ceremony with the Processional, marching together with the President's Cabinet, Board of Trustees, the Alumni of Merit Winners, College leadership, the County Executive and special guests. This Processional march is deeply rooted in academic tradition and history, and serves to remind us of the importance of graduates’ achievements.
It can be a challenge to look for a specific graduate within this large group of people, but you can narrow down the search by looking for the tassel identifying your student’s Academic Center and major. Tassels are the colored fabric ornaments hanging from each student’s cap. Following academic tradition, they are color-coded by area of study.
Below is a quick reference guide to the academic tassel colors to help you during the Processional.
MVCC’s 90 degree and certificate programs are offered within one of five Academic Centers, which will proceed into the Auditorium in this order:
- Center for Arts and Humanities
- Center for Language and Learning Design
- Center for Life and Health Sciences
- Center for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM)
- Center for Social Sciences, Business and Information Sciences
Each graduate’s tassel denotes her or his major—note that some colors are used in more than one Academic Center:
- Apricot: Nursing
- Brown: Fine Art
- Drab: Graphic arts, Business, or Information Technology
- Orange: Engineering Technologies and Trades
- Sage: Physical Education
- White: Humanities, Independent Study, Human Services, Psychology, or Education
- Yellow: Math, Science, Health Services (Non-Nursing), Hospitality, Criminal Justice, or Social Sciences
For example, if you’re trying to find a Nursing graduate, look among the group of students wearing apricot tassels; for a criminal justice major, look behind the Center for Social Sciences, look among the students with yellow tassels; and so on.
For more, see the information about academic regalia and the lists of majors by Academic Center found within the Commencement program.
Thursday, December 17
Time: 4:00 p.m.
Robert R. Jorgensen
1101 Sherman Drive
Utica, NY 13501