Service Learning Design Team
PURPOSE: Research and explore ideas to make thoughtful and daring recommendations to create comprehensive approach to service learning at the College.
August 2011 – December 2011
VP for Learning & Academic Affairs
Contact for Questions:
Dr. Maryrose Eannace
- Research best practices at identified exemplary service learning programs.
- Define service learning.
- Inventory existing components and assets related to service learning already in place at the College.
- Identify key components of a comprehensive service learning program for students at MVCC.
- Develop preliminary recommendations and present to the College Senate for feedback.
- Develop final recommendations, with preliminary program and budget needs, and present to Cabinet.
- Discuss personnel issues, discuss collective bargaining agreements
- Establish policy
- Be creative and inclusive
- Think of marketing strategies to help make the final program success.
- Consider the pros and cons of a phased approach to implementation.
- Think about the value of training and the importance of community partners.
ORGANIZATIONS TO RESEARCH
- National Service Learning Clearinghouse & American Association of Community Colleges
- Monroe Community College, NY
- Bergen Community College, NJ
- Delgado Community College, LA