Distance Education Workgroup
Purpose: The purpose of the Distance Education Workgroup is to research and explore ideas to make thoughtful and daring recommendations to create, implement, and continuously improve a comprehensive support system for students and faculty in the use of technology as an approach to teaching and learning.
Charter Sponsor: VP for Learning & Academic Affairs
Charter Contact: VP for Learning & Academic Affairs
Membership (length of term for members if applicable)
- Director of Educational Technologies - Chair
- Center for Languages & Learning Design rep
- Center for Arts & Humanities rep
- Center for Social Sciences, Business & Info. Tech. rep
- Center for Mathematics, Engineering, Physical Sciences & Applied Technology rep
- Center for Life & Health Sciences rep
- CCED representative
- At-Large (appointed by VP for Learning & AA)
- At-Large (appointed by VP for Student Services)
- Student Congress representative (1 year term)
- Conduct a needs assessment and survey the College community for their perceptions and needs regarding distance learning.
- Research and identify areas for improvements; recommend additions, deletions, and modifications to current practices, procedures and systems.
- Research and identify areas for improvement with the use of technology for teaching and learning.
- Review and recommend new technologies to enhance the student experience.
- Recommend changes to the current Distance Learning system with possible timelines for implementation.
- Initiate comprehensive planning for fully developed virtual campus through the formation and support of a Virtual Campus Design Team.
- Make decisions; determine policy; discuss contractual issues; allow financial constraints to limit creativity and thinking
- Keep the College mission, with an emphasis on the student experience, front and center when reviewing technological innovation
- Consider all employee and affinity groups with regard to inclusivity
- Recognize there are multiple perspectives to each issue
Keep the College Senate and VPLAA updated on Council activities