Behavior Evaluation Response Team Workgroup
Purpose Statement: The purpose of the BERT is to encourage a proactive collaboration with relevant professionals to address patterns of student behavior before they become a disciplinary matter.
Charter Sponsor: President’s Cabinet
Charter Contact: Stephanie C. Reynolds
- Vice President, Student Affairs
- Vice President for Learning and Academic Affairs or designee
- Dean, Rome Campus
- Associate Dean, Athletics and Physical Education
- Associate Dean of Student and Residence Life
- Associate Dean, Student development & Transitions
- Chief, Department of Public Safety
- Director, Civic Responsibilities
- Director, Campus Services – Rome Campus
Licensed Counselor, Counseling Department
- Create an opportunity and expectation for College employees to be aware of and report student behavior that is concerning.
- Communicate the process for making a BERT report at the beginning and mid-point of each semester as reminders.
- Proactively identify patterns of student behavior to effect appropriate and preventative strategies for the mutual benefit of the student and the campus.
- Develop action step plans to address the patterns of behavior.
Communicate back to the original person making the report pertinent information that assures that action has been taken without violating the student’s confidentiality.
- Discuss BERT cases outside of the BERT team with the exception of communicating back to the original person making the report about the general status of the report.
- Keep the College mission front and center
- Think about what’s best for the individual student and the campus as a whole
- Seek to understand and recognize there are multiple perspectives to each issue