Behavior Evaluation Response Team Workgroup
Purpose Statement: The purpose of the BERT is to encourage a proactive collaboration with relevant professionals to address patterns of student behavior before they become a disciplinary or safety matter.
Charter Sponsor: President’s Cabinet
Charter Contact: Stephanie C. Reynolds
- Vice President, Student Affairs
- Vice President for Learning and Academic Affairs or designee
- Dean, Rome Campus
- Associate Dean, Athletics and Physical Education
- Associate Dean of Student and Residence Life
- Associate Dean, Student development & Transitions
- Chief, Department of Public Safety
- Director, Civic Responsibilities
- Director, Campus Services – Rome Campus
- Licensed Counselor, Counseling Department
- Create an opportunity and expectation for College employees to be aware of and report student behavior that is concerning.
- Communicate the process for making a BERT report at the beginning and mid-point of each semester as reminders.
- Proactively identify patterns of student behavior to effect appropriate and preventative strategies for the mutual benefit of the student and the campus.
- Develop action step plans to address the patterns of behavior.
- Communicate back to the original person making the report pertinent information that assures that action has been taken without violating the student’s confidentiality.
- Discuss BERT cases outside of the BERT team with the exception of communicating back to the original person making the report about the general status of the report.
- Keep the College mission front and center
- Think about what’s best for the individual student and the campus as a whole
- Seek to understand and recognize there are multiple perspectives to each issue