Strategic Planning Council
Purpose Statement: The purpose of the Strategic Planning Council (SPC) is to facilitate the strategic planning process and serve as the primary body responsible for assessing future directions and trends.
Strategic Planning Council members are appointed by the College President to provide a diverse representation of college departments and employees. There are two categories of membership: Standing Appointments and Non-Standing Appointments, as listed in the attached table. All non-standing appointments serve alternating two-year terms (starting in September) with potential renewal. In addition to the representatives indicated, at-large appointments may be made for each of the two-year terms. Special short-term appointments to the committee may also be made to accomplish specific tasks.
- Participates in an annual fall strategic planning retreat to synthesize trend data and identify annual college-wide initiatives to modify the strategic plan.
- Serve as stewards of the college in the identification of priorities to enhance the college’s vitality
- Engage faculty, staff and students in the planning process
- Facilitate processes and develop recommendations for updating the Vision, Mission, and Values statements at the College
- Ensure that appropriate communication processes are in place to keep the internal community informed of progress
- Ensure that appropriate mechanisms are in place to link planning, assessment and budgeting and report successes annually
Serve as an advocate and champion for the college’s strategic plan.
- Focus on individual departments; operational issues; or specific resource allocation.
- Keep the whole College in mind
- Focus on the future
- Simplify processes
- Constantly strive to more closely align the College with community needs.
- Consider conducting student focus groups to obtain student input.
Use the STEEP or similar model for environmental scanning to analyze social, technology, environmental, economic and political sectors with education as a focus.