Cultural Events Council
Purpose: The purpose of the Cultural Events Council is to enrich the college and the greater community through the planning, promoting and facilitating of a bi-semester cultural series that reflects and enhances diverse interests and strengthens learning opportunities.
Charter Sponsor: President’s Cabinet
Charter Contact: VP for Learning & Academic Affairs
Membership (length of term for members if applicable)
- Events Administrator, Co-Chair and Chief Liaison to President’s Cabinet (on-going)
- Faculty, Co-Chair (on-going)
- Rome Campus Representative, Secretary and DGV Committee Liaison (on-going)
- Events Coordinator, DGV Committee Liaison (on-going)
- CAAH Faculty (bi-annually Center Elected)
- CLLD Faculty (bi-annually Center Elected)
- CLAHS Faculty (bi-annually Center Elected)
- STEM Faculty (bi-annually Center Elected)
- BISS Faculty (bi-annually Center Elected)
- At-Large, Director of International Education and DGV Committee Liaison (bi-annually appointed by VP for Learning & AA)
- At-Large, Student and Residence Life Liaison (bi-annually appointed by VP of Student Affairs)
- At-Large, Student Liaison (annually appointed by President of Student Congress)
- Solicit programming ideas from students, faculty and staff.
- Develop an annual budget plan.
- Develop the annual Cultural Series program, including a variety of Diversity and Global View (DGV) events, and recommend offerings to the President’s Cabinet.
- Coordinate with the MVCC Foundation to solicit sponsorships for the Cultural Series.
- Coordinate with the Office of Marketing and Communications to market Cultural Events.
- Coordinate with Academic Affairs to plan events that integrate/support curricular goals.
- Maintain a sub-council that consists of three (3) Cultural Events Council members, who also serve on the Diversity and Global View Committee, which ensures DGV events planned by the council meet the Diversity and Global View graduation requirement criteria.
- Make decisions; determine policy; discuss contractual issues.
- Keep the College mission, with an emphasis on the student experience, front and center.
- Maintain a diverse array of offerings at both the Utica and Rome campuses.
- Consider all employee and affinity groups with regard to inclusivity.
- Collaborate with the Diversity and Global View Committee to maximize programming offerings to strengthen the DGV general education requirement.