It is important to establish a plan to follow when deciding on colleges to research, filling out financial aid and college applications as well as applying for scholarships. This website will assist you in creating an organized plan of action and give you useful information about the process. It is never too early to start to plan for your next educational goals! We suggest that you start planning your first semester at MVCC to make sure your transfer process is smooth and painless! To aid in this process, we have developed this checklist that you can use as a guide as your start your transfer process!
The Career & Transfer Services office has a dedicated full-time professional to offer services to you including individual transfer assistance, transfer assistance workshops, a Transfer Fair each semester, individual on-campus visits throughout the year by various four-year colleges, a transfer resource library and information on transfer scholarships. If you are planning on transferring, make sure to stop by 104B Payne Hall, or call (315) 731-5710 to schedule an appointment with our Coordinator of Transfer Services.
Suggested Steps for Transferring
- Visit the Career & Transfer Services office located in Payne Hall 104B and make an appointment with the Coordinator of Transfer Services.
- Identify your career path. Learn how your major relates to your career goal. Make an appointment with our Career counselor.
- Research schools that have the major(s) that you are interested in.
- Make your academic advisor aware of your long term goals so they can better assist you.
- Visit with transfer college representatives when they visit MVCC. Transfer Fairs are usually held on October and April. Learn about prerequisites that you can complete before transferring.
- Examine specific transfer agreements we currently have with many four-year colleges.
- Begin saving all college course outlines and class syllabuses.
- Become involved in campus activities.
- Visit potential transfer colleges at Transfer Open House Programs (check college websites for dates, information, registration etc)
- Begin more in depth research of transfer colleges
- E-mail or write to colleges to obtain information, catalogs, applications, etc.
- Complete your research process of transfer schools.
- Apply to at least 3-5 transfer colleges.
- Keep detailed records of all contacts,, and make copies of all docuements you send.
- Apply early! Don't miss important deadlines for scholarships or competitive transfer programs.
- Apply on-line (if applicable). Seek assistance with your appliation from the Coordinator of Transfer Services
- Apply for MVCC Scholarships, if eligible
- Obtain all supporting documents and send to your college of choice (High school transcript, official college transcrips, SAT/ACT scores, AP/CLEP test scores)
- January--submit FAFSA to be considered for federal need or merit-based programs. If attending a NYS school, make sure to fill out your TAP application as well.
- All documents for financial aid usually need to be submitted by Match1st for the next acadmeic year.
- Don't assume because you did not qualify for financial aid at MVCC that you won't qualify for aid at your transfer institution! Check with your transfer school financial aid office for deadlines and other pertinent information.
- Follow-up promptly on all requests for additional information
- Bring transfer questions to the Coordinator of Transfer Services
- Send in deposits. Apply for housing early if planning on living on campus!
- Don't forget to send in your final transcript with degree posted from MVCC to your transfer school.
- Try to attend summer transfer orientation and registration (bring MVCC catalog and course outlines of classes you have taken).
- Submit your health documents early (proof of immunizations can be forwarded from MVCC's health office)
- Enjoy your new college and have fun!!
8:30am-4:30pm or by appointment
Student Development & Transition Services
Office of Career & Transfer Services
104B Payne Hall
1101 Sherman Drive
Utica, NY 13501