MVCC's Photography Associate in Applied Science Degree prepares students for a career in photography. Graduates find employment in a variety of areas, including freelance photography, newspaper and magazine journalism, industrial photography, and sales. The program gives students an understanding of photographic technologies and techniques, software applications and equipment. It also gives students the opportunity to explore their individualized artistic sensibilities. Students are expected to develop a professional portfolio or exhibition of works for public viewing.
Upon completion of the 2-year program, students should be competent in all of the following areas:
- Black and white film processing and printing
- Color printing and processing
- Digital photographic technologies, including image capture and output
- Digital software applications
- Fundamental lighting techniques
- Large format camera techniques
- Ready for transfer to a four-year institution
Prerequisites: Although no previous formal training in photography is required, students should own their own 35mm cameras. One high school mathematics course or its equivalent is required.
For a complete course listing, click here.
MVCC Photography student projects
Dean - Center for Arts and Humanities
Utica - Payne Hall 104F
Phone (Utica): 315.792.5578