STEP is a New York State Department of Education grant-funded enrichment initiative designed:
- to foster academic excellence
- to nurture students' preparation for college
- to cultivate student independence
- to enhance students' college experience
- to increase awareness and opportunities for historically underrepresented, economically disadvantaged youth in math, science, technology, and health related fields
- for those seeking professional licensure
- for those in pre-professional or professional undergraduate study
STEP students will:
- be open to new experiences in regard to their future opportunities in college and in math, science, health, technology and in licensed professions.
participate in internships, job shadowing, weekly tutorial services, research projects for poster presentations, monthly professional speaker series, college visits, academic/personal/career advisement, counseling, and workshops and seminars. Eligible participants must be members of historically underrepresented populations: African-American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American/Alaskan or economically disadvantaged; a U.S. citizen or permanent New York State resident; maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5.